You may want to try opening Disk Utility in OSX and asking it to repair permissions in OS9. You can find the command in the File menu.

On Oct 5, 2004, at 9:06 PM, Peter Webster wrote:

I'm running Word 2001 on my Wallstreet (sys 9.1). When I send Word
attachments to non-Mac users (yeah, dark-siders), most of the time they
claim they can't open them-and, often can't. Once in a while one will fly
through, open simply by the other end clicking on the attachment. But
mostly, they can't