Dan K wrote:

I was intrigued by this thought, so went down to my basement shop and looked over a pair of TiBooks, a 500 mHz and a 1 gHz (just shells actually) to see if there was any discernable difference between the antenna arraigements.

Honestly, I can't see anything that looks to be significant. While the antenna boards are not the same parts, they have the same circuitry (such as it is!) and location, the later boards being slightly smaller than the early ones. Also, there appears to be the same absence of anti-EMI coating under the plastic edge where they reside.

I think the main problem with TiBook reception is the antennae location, down low at the sides of the case where it's easy to block them with your hands or other radiation blockers. I have big hands that tend to flop over the side edges, so maybe reception problems are worse for those folks with larger hands, or those who rest their hands over those edges at any rate? OTOH . . .

Interestingly, just last night I rebuilt _another_ 667 DVI and it seems to have much better reception than did my old 667 DVI on its built-in antennae. Maybe I'm just dreaming . . . perhaps I better do some scientific tests to see what's up!

So I've narrowed my choices down to either a DVI TiBook, or G4 iBook (14"). Since my home is a smaller one level wood framed house, the furtherest I ever get away from my Sawtooth basestation isn't really more than 20', and I rarely use Airport outside the house. If I take it down to my shop, I have an iPAQ connection point that I don't get more than 30' from with no walls to interfere, so maybe Airport reception on the tiBook wouldn't be a real big deal. I have an external wifi card too if needed. And TiBooks have been around long enough to know what typical problems there are with them. OTOH, the G4 iBooks are still fairly new, so the jury is still out on those, but even used would likely still have a warranty and be eligable for Applecare. Tried and true versus new and unknown. Pretty tough call!
Opinions? Recommendations? First hand experience with the G4 iBook?
Also, other than eBay or the swap list, where would be a good place to look for a good used DVI TiBook?

JR