The following is not meant to be a criticism of any list member. It
just needs to be clarified so that we all are on the same page when
discussing issues.

As a general rule (inside or outside computerdom) any word that is
completely capitalized, is an acronym. For example:

SSID = Service Set IDentifier
WAP = Wireless Access Point
WPA = Wireless Protected Access
WEP = Wired Equivalent Privacy

That doesn't mean every fully capitalized word *is* an acronym, but
it can cause confusion if there is one.

One common mistake I see in news groups and mail-lists is "MAC" used
instead of "Mac." And there is a difference.

"Mac" is an abbreviation for our pride-and-joy -- our Macintosh computers.

"MAC" is an acronym used with wireless and Ethernet networks, and it
stands for Medium Access Control (I've also heard it referred to as
"machine access control" but I don't know if that correct or not). It
refers to a hexadecimal address (i.e. 00 03 93 1F 5F 24), coded in
hardware for every Ethernet device (computer, Ethernet card, WiFi
card, router/base station etc.), which uniquely identifies each node
on a network.

So you can see if you're talking about a hard-wired Ethernet network,
or a wireless network, and you use the term MAC when you really meant
your Macintosh, it could be confusing.

You can now return to your normal non-pedantic correspondence :-),

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.