MB/sec = megabytes per second. There is NO "MBps"!

How come...?

"bit" is an acronym for "binary digit". It is *binary*, ie base 2, never decimal! IOW, the "multiplier" is a power of 2, not 10. 1024 not 1000. Repeat the mantra of your grade school teacher: NEVER MIX BASES.

1024 bytes per kilobyte.

I think "kilo" is one thousand based on dictionary definition, which implies that the usage of kilobyte as 1024 was wrong from day one. Hence the whole problem. I never heard the definition of "kilo" being "the closest to 1000 in the respective base."

I must say, though, that the resurfacing notion of saying "kibibytes" for 1024 bytes is even less attractive than the mess we are in right now.

Going back to topic, wasn't there an idea at one point that MAC would stand for Mouse Activated Computer? (or would it be Mouse-Activated Computer? :) )

Marcin Wichary
e:\> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached
w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/GUIdebook >> Graphical User Interface gallery