Laurent opined:

"I forgot to add that based on your experience, I would bet that the PMU is
the likely problem. The PMU controls all aspects of charging the batteries,
reporting how much power remains, etc.

There is also the slight possibility that your battery is defective. I've
got a brand new one once from BTI and had to exchange it as it was not
charging. In my case, I knew it was the battery because I had another one
that was charging fine. If you could find someone with a Lombard or a Pismo,
you could try your battery in a different laptop to see if it recharges. If
it does, then the battery is defective. If not, then most likely your PMU
(Power Management Unit) is the defective part."

Well, what I don't know about notebooks could literally fill the manual, but my limited experience thus far with this Mainstreet would tend to confirm your suspicions. My guess is that it is the PMU that is the culprit here. The fact that I get one steady green light when I depress the battery button indicates that the battery is not dead, right? Should the LEDs come on when I'm "charging" this bad boy? I'm checking around with my Mac friends to see if any of them have a Wallstreet, Lombard, or Pismo. Again, I appreciate you input here.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
Houston  TX
www.defalcos.com

P.S. I strongly suspect that my ORiNOCO combo card is simply not going to work here. I've got my eye on a used ORiNOCO that has supposed been pulled from a Mac.