The National Enquirer reports at 1:44 AM -0400 10/24/04,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>At 10:21 PM -0600 10/23/2004, Bob wrote:
> >  >IF the Lombard is running OS X, then turn on File Sharing on the
> >>Lombard, mount its HD on the eMac and copy files from there.
> >
> >Copy how? Surely you aren't recommending drag-and-drop copying to
> >duplicate an OS X volume. Simply copying files to a backup device
> >won't get the invisible files that are at root level of the disk's
> >directory structure. (It will get invisibles that are inside folders.)
>
>Worked for me, Lombard (OS 9 and Jaguar) to our new PB (Panther).
>
>The system files you simply don't want.  The only things of interest
>to copy out are visible so they copy perfectly well with a simple
>drag'n'drop...

If only visible files are needed, I agree with you. I thought Vicki
was wanting to move everything from the Lombard to the eMac.

> >Numerous invisibles that reside at root level of the disk are ...
> >-- System files, like boot blocks and other disk data, like drivers, etc.;
>
>Lombard vs eMac.  You can't use the boot blocks. And the eMac has its
>own drivers.

These were general comments, not specifically directed toward an eMac.

> >-- some caches and other files associated with various software;
>
>Caches, by definition, should never be copied.

Not sure I agree with you there. But it may depend on the precise
cache file(s).

>Other files?

The whole area is moot, as you say below, since the "all my files"
has been clarified to mean only data files.

> >-- Desktop Folders for the disk which carry the Finder's icon and
> >file placement information (not the disk directory);
>
>Are best recreated fresh.

Maybe for you, but not necessarily my approach.

> >-- disk directory information that says where every bit and byte is
> >physically on the disk;
>
>You're moving the data to a new drive, so this information is moot.

Agreed under the new clarification.

> >-- some key code and serial number and validation files for some programs.
>
>Most apps will reask for their s/n even if you copy their prefs files
>over.

Preference files don't necessarily contain registration information.
I haven't had occasion to check in OS X, but in past years that
information has often been located in invisible files.

>The ones that don't probably need to be installed on the new
>machine properly anyway.

I don't reinstall anything unless I have to. Maybe it's a long-time
hold0ver from the early Mac days. Remember when you had to hand feed
10-15 floppy disks just to install Microsoft Excel? :-) I go with the
the easiest (but workable) option. For example, I have *never* done a
clean install, or System re-install for that matter.

> >I've been tod that there are approximately 120,000 files installed
> >with OS X (complete install I assume). I've never tried to count
> >them, so I'm going to take this at face value. That's an enormous
> >amount of files to be dragging-and dropping.
>
>The new eMac comes with its own operating system.  We're talking
>about copying USER data here, and maybe a few apps.

My current mantra: the more information given, the easier it's
understood and the better the advice should be. :-) OTOH you can't
completely discount senior moments and dropped brain-bits. LOL

Cheers,

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.