There are no special steps involved other than what I've outlined below, but if you decide to upgrade to a drive larger than 8GB, you'll need to partition that and use the first (8GB or smaller) partition to install X on. You might also like to reformat the drive under Mac OS 9, so that you're starting with a clean volume. There is a chance that XPostFacto won't work first up (the Wallstreet sometimes loses the necessary PRAM settings during the restart from 9 to the X installer), so don't be fazed by initial problems.

Cheers,
Ben

On 27 Oct 2004, at 13:30, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I have an installation question. I have a Wallstreet 266 w/512MB of RAM and a
4GB hard drive. Will I need to get a higher capacity hard drive to run OS X
10.3.5? Also, are there any other special steps involved in the OS X
install... such as setting up the disk with separate partitions for OS 9 & OS X,
or do you just install OS 9 first, then OS X?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

From: Ben Dyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compatibility of OS10 with the Wallstreet II 233
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:19:28 +1000
To: G-Books <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Stanton,

I'm running OS X 10.3.5 on two Wallstreet IIs, one originally 266MHz
overclocked
to 300MHz with 512MB RAM, and the other at 266MHz with 128MB RAM. Both run it
surprisingly well, given the age of the hardware. The only issue I have is that
removing a CD drive from the expansion bay while the machine is awake, and
after having inserted and ejected a CD, occasionally causes a kernel panic. The
problem can be avoided by putting the system to sleep, removing the drive, and
waking it back up. Note also that the floppy drive is unsupported under OS X.

A rough guide to getting OS X 10.3 running is as follows:
1. Download and install XPostFacto
(http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Archive/ XPostFacto3.0b8.sit)
2. Insert your 10.3 install CD
3. Launch the XPostFacto application, and click "Install" (just use the default
options for now)
4. Complete the Panther install process, and restart
5. Download and install the updates from Software Update
6. Restart in OS 9, launch the XPostFacto application, go to the "Install"
menu,
and select "Everything"
7. Put the machine to sleep, and wake it up again
8. Restart in OS X

If at any stage the machine loses power completely (i.e. PRAM battery flat, and
both battery and power adapter not present), you'll need to start up in OS 9,
put the machine to sleep, wake it up, and restart in X in order to reset the
PMU correctly. Failure to do this will result in backlight problems under OS
X.

It's also possible to get limited 2D graphics acceleration by modifying the
Rage
Pro drivers from OS X 10.2.6 (later versions cause frequent kernel panics, and
earlier versions don't seem to make a difference). If you need the extra 8-10%
GUI performance it provides, contact me off-list.

That said, I suspect that for serious Photoshop use, the Wallstreet
(particularly a 233MHz model) will prove to be woefully inadequate. You might
scrape by if all you're doing is creating low-resolution web graphics, but any
file larger than a few megabytes will bring it to its knees.

Cheers,
Ben