on 29/10/04 14:47, Nils at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 01:09:55PM -0400 or thereabouts, Laurent Daudelin
> wrote:
>> I never heard about any program that would let you control the fan in any
>> Macintosh. That's probably part of some private API if such control exists.
>> In any case, if you think the fan doesn't start up when it should, then the
>> problem might be hardware. Getting an application to report on the
>> temperature might report a wrong temperature which could be the reason why
>> the fan doesn't start. Have you ever heard the fan running? I think that
>> when you do a reset of the PMU on a Wallstreet, one way to know that the
>> reset was successful is that the fan is supposed to run for a few seconds
>> after the reset.
>
> You are probably correct on the API idea. And yes, the fan does spin
> for a few seconds when resetting the PMU. After checking out Gauge PRO,
> the processor is running at 143 degrees F. I've read that the WS I (83FSB)
> Wallstreets run a bit hotter than the WS II (66FSB) units. So 143 degrees
> doesn't seem out of line.
>
>> You said you're using on a couch. Does the Wallstreet has enough space
>> underneath to let the air flows around it? In the user guide that came with
>> my PowerBook 17", Apple recommends always using the laptop on a flat surface
>> to let air circulates around it.
>
> I believe this may be part of the problem. Yes, the laptop is physically
> sitting on the couch. I've also had freezing/overheating issues when using
> the laptop in bed. But I believe if the fan was coming on properly, helpving
> remove the excess heat away from the heatsink and cpu, the machine would be
> more stable even if i'm using it on the couch or in bed.
>
> Maybe the fan is OS controlled, and OS X lacks the ability to do it. ?
> Since I got my WS, I've been running OS X. So I'm not sure if the fan does
> come on when running MacOS 8 or 9.

The OS has definitely control over starting the fan or not. After some OS X
upgrades, I remember reading comments from Titanium users saying that the
fan was starting more often then with the previous version.

However, like I said before, if the sensor reporting the temperature is
defective, both GaugePro and the OS will display whatever is reported. If
the actual temperature is more, then the fan would not start and you would
think that the temperature, like you noticed, is not out of line. It's a
tough call that only an experienced technician could do...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

flat adj.: 1. [common] Lacking any complex internal structure. "That bitty
box has only a flat filesystem, not a hierarchical one." The verb form is
flatten. 2. Said of a memory architecture (like that of the VAX or 680x0)
that is one big linear address space (typically with each possible value of
a processor register corresponding to a unique core address), as opposed to
a `segmented' architecture (like that of the 80x86) in which addresses are
composed from a base-register/offset pair (segmented designs are generally
considered cretinous).