on 30/10/2004 14:42, G-Books at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I know I could buy her a new DVD drive for the Pismo, either s/hand
>> via eBay or even (at considerable expense...) new. But this is an old
>> machine, and I'm not sure I want to spend too much money keeping it
>> fettled. The other possibility that's occurred to me is to buy an
>> external firewire optical drive. I believe LaCie do one (several?).
>> Has anyone got any experience of running an external firewire DVD
>> drive on an older PB? - Pismo or Lombard via a firewire port in a
>> card?
>>
>> Tom Burke

Just get an internal Combo or Superdrive and swap it for the defective DVD.
Lots of different brands and models work, just check xlr8yourmac under the
Drive Database and Pismo.
I've personally used Sony, Samsung, Matshita and LG combos, as well as
Panasonic and LG Superdrives, in my Pismo. They all worked. Combos tend to
cost $50-60 on ebay or online stores, and Superdrives have fallen to the
$120-140 range. You can even use the slot-loading drives from G4 powerbooks.
You might be able to find a Combo from somebody who upgraded to a
Superdrive.

Good luck.
Chris