If you decide to go with PCMIA, I recommend the Buffalo G54A (the whole model # is WLI-CB-G54A). I have been using it in my Pismo and it works great. I didn't have to install any drivers or anything because the OS apparently already recognizes it, so it was just plug-n-play. It also has an external jack for an antenna if you decide that's something you want. And it cost around $30 at newegg but I think that it was on sale at the time.

On Nov 2, 2004, at 2:00 PM, John C. Swanson wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Larry le
Mac
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 12:37
To: G-Books
Subject: Wireless but not AirPort ???

I am fixing a PowerBook Lombard or an IceBook
for my wife and she'll probably want it to be
wireless, but rather than spending (too much)
money on AirPort I'm thinking of buying a
standard PC basestation/sender.

Which ones work well with a Mac ? Makes ?

USB or PCMCIA ?

Larry

P.S. I have asked about this before but I recall
the topic going off rails due to Windoze topics
so I never got a real answer...
I would recommend a Netgear base station I have had very good
experiences with them and they are completely configured through a web
interface so they are completely OS independent.

As far as a card goes I definitely recommend PCMCIA over USB. First of
all PCMCIA is faster so you could use 802.11g (54Mbps) if you wanted to.
Second you usually have a sturdier device that doesn't stick as far out
the laptop. Lastly I've personally had too many reliability problems
with USB in the past to recommend it.

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |