On 10/11/2004, at 4:19 AM, Laurent wrote:

Laurent,
I must disagree,
I have just had a Pismo 400 upgraded to 550 G4 (Daystar) and it is
performing very well, much much faster than my other original 400 G3.
(being overseas, I bought another Pismo in the states on eBay and had
it upgraded. - was never without a laptop during upgrade, now have two.
Probably will keep orig as backup.)
Took me a while to get the G4 sorted (due to bad backside cache - reqd
new processor) but now working very well.
I cannot use Skype on orig Pismo, but on G4 it works very well - one
hour phone call last night very high quality, just a short period of
static. Currently watching Ansari X prize video - playing well - but on
orig the video and audio kept dropping out.

So looking forward to a few more years Pismoing - just love the form
factor.

Stuart.

P.S. Also put in a 60 gig 7200 rpm Hitachi which may be part of the
good speed but it also vibrates unacceptably. Appears to be getting
less so must be bearing rumble? Out of balance does not tend to cure
itself, AFAIK?

How much did you pay for that upgrade? Plus, the original poster was asking
about a Wallstreet upgrade. I still stand by what I've said, depending on
how much you paid, it might make sense for a Pismo but for a Wallstreet, I'm
not that sure...

-Laurent.

$289 at Daystar. (Shipping, etc extra, plus pismo purchase price ~ $410)

Firefox rules! (VVVVVVVVVVVV fast, also opens legal popups such as local weather bureau sat. photos which Safari won't load)

Stuart

  (no)  more bush*t