on 19/11/04 08:58, Anne Judge at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> After saying I would for months, I just upgraded my Wallstreet (466,
> 384MB RAM, 20gig HD) to 10.2.8 in the hopes of making it my kitchen
> recipe/internet radio computer.  (No disaster if I spill that soup on
> it! - at least not compared to if I did the same on my PB G4 17".)
>
> I got a Belkin F5D7010 802.11g PC card that's supposed to work with
> 10.2.8 & Airport 3.1.1 (according to the product's web page) - which I
> have installed.
>
> But it's not seeing it!!!  Other cards (CF & SM readers, USB) work in
> both my PC card slots.
>
> My understanding is that this card should work because it's using a
> Broadcom chipset.  But when I pull down the PC card menu that appears
> when it's in, it says:
>
>     Ralink Technology Inc.
>     RT2500
>
> Which seems to be the name of a maker of a different chipset.  Is this
> my problem?  Did Belkin switch suppliers on me?
>
> Or is this normal and there's something wrong with my card, my
> computer, or my install?
>
> I know at least one other person here is using this wireless card (or
> at least a Belkin one), so maybe he/she/they can check and see if what
> I'm seeing is normal.

I haven't checked any PC card in my PowerBook, so I can't really tell if
what should appear is the chipset of the card in the PC menu.

That being said, I would think that your computer is working fine since it
recognizes all other types of cards. I would imagine that the card is also
working fine since it seems to communicate with the system correctly.

So, that leaves us with the incompatible chipset. I thought that someone
posted this week about a similar problem, where they bought a Belkin
thinking they would get a compatible card but they got a revision which used
a different chipset, thus making the card incompatible without a 3rd party
driver...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

fiber-seeking backhoe: [common among backbone ISP personnel] Any of a genus
of large, disruptive machines which routinely cut critical backbone links,
creating Internet outages and packet over air problems.