On Dec 6, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

on 06/12/04 19:42, Zoltan Batiz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Pismo user here. . .

Since I've downloaded iTunes 4.7, I now have an average: for every 1
CD I burn, 2 or 3 are ruined in the process. The error message: "The
Device drained it's buffer without burn underrun protection." What!?
This is getting on my nerves for obvious reasons. I'm tired of buying
more CD-R's only to end up throwing half of them away. What's going
here folks? Is this a 4.7 problem? I checked Apple's website, but
have found nothing relating to this message, only info on what underrun
protection is.

My system:

Pismo 500, 1 gig RAM, OS X 10.3.6, external firewire powered
SmartDiskVST CD-R/W, external USB powered Zip 100 drive, USB powered
Canon Scanner, Epson printer, and an external 17" Apple Studio Display
(F.Y.I.: iTunes has always read my CDRW drive as "TEAC CD-W28E")

Thanks for any help in this matter. . .I'm tired of wasting CD-R's!!

If I understand the problem correctly, this error message means that the
burner doesn't get the data from the computer fast enough, so the burn
fails.

You have to understand that you most likely patched iTunes with (PatchBurn
or other) to make your CDRW drive recognized by iTunes. I would imagine that
iTunes is somehow optimized for machines that had a built-in CDRW which
means that they were faster than your Pismo.

Of course, the last part is pure speculation on my part but the first part
is still valid...

-Laurent.

Speculation yes. . .but a good one at that. My CDRW drive is listed in the Apple website as being built for iTunes from the ground up. I didn't have to install any patch or anything. Just plugged it in, and it worked. My new suspicion is that the media is incompatable with my drive. I picked up these blank CD-R's that are labled 52x. My drive only burns up to 8x. I've set the speed limit in iTunes to 8x and I'm going to try to burn disks using my trusted brand for blank disks. it everything is fine, then it was the media. Afterall, the media that I've been having problems with came from the 99 cents store so maybe it's the culprit.

THE BLUETOOTH MASTER