I experienced a similar problem with my iMac G5. I wanted to repair the disk and permissions as I like to do about once per month. This was the first time that I was doing this and out of habit, I got down the Panther installation box. I put the CD in and restarted holding the the C key. I got the Apple logo and then the booting stopped and a few pixels on the display went a bit odd. I tried this 3 times before I called Apple. They told me, much to my embarrassment that the minimum OS that my iMac will boot is 10.3.5 and I was trying to boot off of 10.3. So, I went and retrieved the disks that came with the iMac and it booted off THAT CD without any problem.
And since you just brought it up. I thought I would make a test.....I also have a new iBook and I looked just now at the installation disks that came with it. 10.3.5. I just tried to boot off of the original Panther install disks and got the same symptoms as when I tried to use them in my iMac. Since yours is a 1 gig iBook and mine is a 1.2 gig iBook, I tend to think your minimum OS is also higher than 10.3 and therefore the source of the problem you encountered.

Tim