On 13/12/04 16:16, "Claire Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I bought my 17" 1.5 GHz PowerBook last summer, and then installed 2 GB
> of RAM a few months ago.  While I am not running anything high-powered
> right now, I have not noticed any improvement in going from the 512 RAM
> to the 2 GB RAM.  Not only that, but things are beginning to slow down,
> as if my hard drive was nearly full.  (I have 53 GB left of an 80 GB
> drive.)
>
> I may have asked this question last summer.  I am wondering what
> routine maintenance can/should be done on a PowerBook to keep it in
> tiptop running condition.

There are utilities like Panther Cache Cleaner that will clean a lot of
cache files that are kept by the system. Over time, they tend to grow and it
might slow down some operations. There are also the system logs cleaning
that is usually performed around 3 in the morning, but that usually don't
run on most Macs since most Macs and specially PowerBooks are usually
sleeping at that time. A tool like Onyx will let you run those cleaning
scripts, although these files should not have impact on performance, they
just take more space on the disk.

Also, if you haven't restarted your PowerBook in months, restarting will
clear up memory and the swap files used for virtual memory which can result
in faster performance.

Finally, check to see if you did install any kind of utility that might be
running in the background and consuming some processing power. You can use
"Activity Monitor" to check whether you have any process that is taking up
too much processing power.

-Laurent.