on 16/12/04 20:50, Rad Craig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First, is there an OSX mailing list?
>
> Now, the real question.  I want to run Apple Remote Desktop.  I have a
> computer at work and need to access it from home.  It has a DSL
> connection using DHCP.  Therefore, my ip address changes occasionally.
>
> Is there any script, utility, app, whatever, that allows me to find out
> what the current ip address of that machine is?  I mean something that
> sends me an email when the ip address changes, uploads a text file with
> the ip address in it to a website, or some other means, so that when I
> need to connect to it from home, I can go one place, find the current
> ip address, then put that in ARD and connect.
>
> I want to be able to do the same thing from work (connect to this
> laptop at home which also has DSL/DHCP).  If this laptop is asleep, is
> there any way to connect to it via ARD?  Or does it have to be open and
> running?  Can ARD wake it up while it's closed?
>
> Also, whats the best way to keep some directories synchronized between
> these two machines?  I have price lists, tech docs, spreadsheets, word
> docs, etc. that I may modify at either location, I need a way to keep
> them up to date on both machines.
>

> Rad...

You can register an account with DynDNS.org. Then, you can use the free
utility DNSUpdate. This utility works in the background on Mac OS X and
constantly monitor your IP address as seen from the Internet. As soon as it
changes, it contacts the DynDNS server to update the new IP address in their
database. Then, you can use something like http://nemesys.dyndns.org:8080 to
access the web server on your machine at home. But you can use other
services, like ftp, afp and probably ARD.

In any case, you can always log into your account on DynDNS and check what
is the last IP address recorded for your laptop at home.

If you have a router to share your DSL connection, you will have to open
some ports needed by ARD and other services and configure your router to
reroute those requests to your laptop. That means your laptop has to have a
static IP address on your LAN.

You can get a list of services provided by Mac OS X and their associated
ports on the Apple web site.

Finally, I'm afraid that you will have to leave your laptop up and running.
I'm not sure that it could wake up if incoming packets are sent to it...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

FITNR // adj.: [Thinking Machines, Inc.] Fixed In The Next Release. A
written-only notation attached to bug reports. Often wishful thinking.