Thanks to everyone who suggested fixes for my near dead Pismo. The hard drive was indeed bad, and I replaced it with a new 40 gig Hitachi and added 256 megs of RAM while I was in there to up the total RAM to 384 megs. Despite all this new hardware the Pismo often needed repeated reboots to start up and usually froze up after it had been running a while. So following the advice given to the new Lombard owner with similar problems I pulled and reseated the processor card and it's RAM.

The Pismo now usually boots up and goes to work, but occasionally freezes after an hour or more of use. It then refuses to boot until I disconnect all power and I sometimes have to disconnect the PRAM battery as well. This seems to be a common problem with the G3 PowerBooks, and makes one wonder if some component is failing as it ages past AppleCare's 3 year coverage limit and refuses to function after it warms up... any theories or even fixes?

        thanks again for all the help- at least my Pismo now works sometimes!

Dyna