On: Wed, 8 Dec 2004  Andrew inquired:

>I just bought a used 333MHz Lombard for my daughter to
>use, mostly at home, along with a new Orinoco Gold
>card to access the Airport network.
>
>First off, will the Orinoco card (Proxim - brand new)
>work as an actual airport card, or should I start
>hunting for drivers?
>
>Snip
>
>Andrew

If you have the new Proxim Classic Gold Card, Model 8410WD then under OS
8.6 to OS 9.2.2 it will work with Airport software. Other Proxim cards that
are new production wont work with Airport Software, but may work with some
commercial software.

Only 802.11b cards will work under the Clasic OS.

Older Lucent WaveLan, Lucent Orinoco, Agree Orinoco, and YDL Wireless cards
will work with the built in Airport Software under OS 8.6 to 9.2.2.

For use on OS X  you will need third party software for the Proxim Clasic
Gold Card. Commercial or Freeware.

Or you can use a 802.11g Apple compatible PC Card from many sources, if you
put your PowerBook on OS X.

My personal opinion would be to use OS 9.x for a PowerBook for a young
child. Less tech support problems for Dad.

See my Wireless FAQ for more information. Links for all the wireless
software you will need.

Ken Vann