on 15/12/04 22:24, CR at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Greetings. I'm new to this list
> migrating from the PowerBooks list.
>
> I've been given a Wallstreet Family M4753 1998
>
> 233MHz-512K/32MB/2GB HD/4MB vieo/CD/Modem
>
> It's dead.
>
> First I wonder if the above numbers verify that it is the VersionII?
>
> Secondly, I'll describe it's symptoms in  solicitation of advise.
>
> When I received the PB it contained a OS9 disc in the CD drive
> and it booted from the CD without my prompting. I was able to Trash
> the previous owners files but not run any programs. I got a dialog box that
> said some program was missing.
>
> I was and have never been able to shut it down (unable to find a
> reset button as on my 3400)
> I have to pull out the battery and unplug it.
>
> I tried booting from my PCMCIA drive but it froze in mid boot.
>
> I tried booting from a Tech Tools Disc and I get the start up sound but now
> the screen stays black and nothing. Once I hear the CD spinning. BAck
> to the OS9
> disc trying the "C" key or OpenA-Option-Shift-Delete . Nothing
>
> The one time I did get it booted the HD rattled some but not terribly.
>
> Any and all advise is appreciated.

HI and welcome!

There might be a few things that are wrong so it could be a little more
difficult to find out what's going on.

That being said, do you have a system install CD that you know to be good?
If so, the next thing would be to put the battery back in and plug it. Leave
it plugged for something like 24 hours.

To start up an apparently dead PowerBook, you can use Command + Control +
Power. Press "C" and hold it down. If the CD is good and the CD-ROM drive is
still working, it should boot. If it doesn't there could be a couple of
things that prevent it from booting. The CD-ROM drive might have turned out
bad. After a few years of use, the processor daughtercard might have come
loose, which would explain an erratic behavior where sometimes it would
start and at other times, it would not. Or it could be a loose RAM DIMM. Try
to remove the keyboard. There should be the processor heatsink underneath
the keyboard. Once you remove the heatsink, you will have access to the
processor daugthercard which contains the processor, of course, and also the
RAM. I would suggest removing all the RAM chips and put them back, making
sure they are properly seated in the slot. Then, put back the processor
daughtercard. Check where the pins connecting the card to the motherboard
are, then apply most of your pressure in that corner. It takes more force
than you would imagine for such a fragile thing to seat it properly.

See how it goes and let us know of your progress...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

foo /foo/ 1. interj. Term of disgust. 2. [very common] Used very generally
as a sample name for absolutely anything, esp. programs and files (esp.
scratch files). 3. First on the standard list of metasyntactic variables
used in syntax examples. See also bar, baz, qux, quux, corge, grault,
garply, waldo, fred, plugh, xyzzy, thud.