We are all different.  I have backup machines (a Lombard and a Windows
laptop), plus I back up religiously onto a large external drive that is
readable by both the Mac and PC.  I have had computers go down before, and
even when I can fix it myself, having another machine to use in the meantime
is a lifesaver.

Andrew