Since I am using a Dual-USB G3 500Mhz iBook, I'll try posting this here.
I have posted on the Share My Desktop help site, an Apple Discussion group,
and on MacFixIt and have had almost no responses to date.

    I conducted a Virtual Network Computing (VNC) session over the weekend
with my mom.

    I began by having her set her display to 256 colors and change her
desktop from a photograph to a solid color.  After she made those changes,
we both quit iChat.

     (Before launching iChat or Chicken, I launched Activity Monitor and
watched the %CPU column.  iChat used from just below 50% to well into the
60% range.  Chicken, once launched, occupied only around 10%.)

    She launched Share My Desktop (server software) and I launched Chicken
of the VNC (client software).

    In about 10 seconds, the blank black screen appeared and filled my
desktop entirely, then I had to wait for over one full minute before her
desktop appeared within that blank and, with only 256 colors, it was
essentially unreadable; specifically, it was fuzzy beyond belief.

    When I clicked on a window on mom's desktop to close it, over a full
minute elapsed before I saw the window close.

    We ended the connection, she went back to thousands of colors on her
display and we tried again, this time with VNCDimension as the Client.  .

    No luck:  VNCDimensions would not connect.

    Tried VNCThing as the client, and things worked a bit better.  It has an
option to Refresh the connection by hitting Command/R, and a checkbox under
Display for <Shrink to fit>.  Much better definition and her screen was
extremely clear...but the connection/delay was still extremely slow.

    So, in short:

I can make the connection.

It seems whether she uses 256 colors or thousands of colors on her display,
our connection remains equally slow (remember: she has a cable modem and I
have DSL), so I'm sticking with thousands so I can read her screen.

VNCThing seems to be the best client so far.

    Any additional ideas on anything else to try in order to speed up this
connection?  I am still puzzled as to why the connection ran so much faster
when I was using a B&W G3 with a G4 upgrade processor that ran at just under
500 Mhz.

    The Dual-USB iBook I am now using has a G3 processor running at 500 Mhz.
Would that alone account for the difference???

    Many thanks, as always...
    bob