At 08:52 AM -0800 12/19/2004, CR wrote:

With my 3400 running OS 9.1 I connect easily using TCP and DHCP. But with the G4, DHCP provides an IP address and subnet mask but does not identify a router.

Using "Manual" I copy in the numbers DHCP provides my 3400
and the Hub lights up as if a signal is being pulled
but browsers and e-mail clients "cannot find the server".

You *are* getting a valid IP assigned, tho, correct? NOT one in the 169.x range, correct? If you're getting an IP in the 169 range then the Mac is not getting any response from the DHCP server.

IF you are getting a valid IP, then you should also be betting a valid gateway (router) assigned. Without a valid gateway, you can't route packets at all. Test this by trying to traceroute to an address such as 164.109.28.3.

IF you *are* getting a gateway IP assigned, but are *not* getting valid domain name servers (DNS) assigned, then you won't be able translate domain names to IP addresses. The lack of DNS addresses or DNS server failures is typically what causes "cannot find the server" errors in applications. Test this by doing a nslookup of a site such as "www.comcast.com".

www.comcast.com               A     2894    164.109.28.3

- Dan.