The 15" and 17" PowerBooks are much wider machines than the 12", but the 14"
iBook and older 14" PowerBooks are not wide enough to get any benefit.  Of
course, to be wide enough to give some benefit (15 and 17" PB) makes the
machine too wide to be used well as a portable, making it really a portable
desktop.

Personally, I bought my 12" to use as a true portable, a decision I have
never regretted, especially when I see people trying to use bigger laptops
such as Titanium PowerBooks in crowded airplanes.  I actually saw some poor
idiot's 17" PowreBook get pushed by a passing flight attendant, the result
was a spilled drink on another passenger, the flight attendant visibly in
pain and the PowerBook face down on the floor with a sickening crunch,
followed by a whole lot of shouting by the fool who tried to use a massive
shelf of a computer in a confined space.

The 12", in contrast, is so small that even if the passenger in front of me
reclines, I won't have my screen crunched.  That, and of course I still have
room on my tray table, as opposed to bleeding over into another person's
space.  The 15" isn't that bad, but it still can't touch the 12" for
portability and light weight.  Of course, the 12" is such a delight to type
on that I've never wished for anything larger for that purpose.

Speaking of RSI, by the way, your hands shouldn't be touching the palmrest
AT ALL, making a wider one of dubious benefit.  The only time I can see a
benefit of a large palmrest area is for sliding around a small optical mouse
or as a surface to write rest your post-it pad on for writing real
pen-and-paper notes.  The 12", by the way, has a very generous palmrest and
is an ergonomic delight, as far as laptops go with their low screens that
force bent necks.

Andrew