Another trick that while not an actual "Apple Menu" is to enable the "Script
Menu", and then drag your aliases into it.  My script menu has all of the
programs I use on a less than a daily basis, in subfolders by type, as well
as a few documents that I regularly access but don't want on the dock.

I tend to keep my dock fairly empty, with only my primary apps (14), my
"Documents" and "Applications" folders, and the Finder.  Anything else I
want easy access to goes into the script menu, which is a bit slower access
(it thinks for a second or three before opening when it has lots of things
in it), but its free and does the job.

Andrew