I looked at the 15 and 17 but in the end bought a 12 and have been enjoying it since. I use a Booq bag that is great and holds the laptop vertical instead of the normal horizontal so I find it easy to carry around.

I to use CodeTek VirtualDesktop and it is a great program and should be on everyones 'get' list
Another is iPulse for keeping track of memory use, temperature etc, great little app and you can use skins, mine is a simple watchface so I can see the time at a glance.

Larry