At 7:40 AM -0500 1/5/05, Seth Austen wrote:
On Jan 5, 2005, at 12:48 AM, Richard Jepsen wrote:

I would like to hear from folks who have upgraded their Lombards with the
Daystar/XLR8 factory installed upgrade or  any other G4 upgrade options
there might be.

I'd also be interested in hearing success stories from folks who've upgraded their pismos with the Daystar G4.

Mine's been quite successful, though there were some bumps in the installation process as we discovered various circuits on both the logic board and daughter card had gone bad in various ways. Daystar eventually gave me a free logic board, though I paid for a new daughter card--all in all, I think they did what was reasonable and were always cordial in their communications. I spoke to both Gary Daley and one of the techs over the phone a couple of times during the process, too.

I've been quite satisfied with the results. I got the 550MHz version. I ran Norton System Info and it reported my Pismo on the whole was about 20% faster than the previous benchmark, which falls in line with their basic predictions. OSX has been noticeably speedier, aided all the more by the upgrade I finally made to 10.3. OS 9 boots faster and seems a little springier somehow with opening apps.

FWIW, I recently maxed out the RAM (1024MB) and even with a slower hard drive (filling in with the old OEM 10GB 4200rpm drive while awaiting a replacement for the 40GB 5400rpm drive used in the above benchmarking that had been behaving oddly of late) the Pismo benchmark is now about 40% faster than the pre-G4 benchmark I recorded. Looking forward to seeing what it's like when I get the 5400 back in.

I've been happy all in all. Glad to keep this baby running well under both OSes.

FWIW.

Carl