I have dragged my Applications folder to the Dock and it works, *But* I have to either click and hold or control-click.

Yes, that's how spring-loaded folders work, which this is great example of.

The functionality Luis talks about is definitely *not* spring-loaded folders. Consider this:

- spring-loaded folders act when you drag something into the folder and hover over it; dock menus act when you click and hover over an icon,
- spring-loaded folders works only for... folders (and folder-like items), while dock menus work for every item,
- you can set up spring-loaded folders reaction time in Finder's preferences, which has no effect on dock menu time,
- you can actually turn off spring-loaded folders in Finder's preferences, but dock menus work anyway,
- you can press spacebar for spring-loaded folders to activate faster, which brings no effect in dock menus,
- when spring-loaded folder activates, it blinks twice; no such thing happens with dock menu,
- dock menus were there since Mac OS X 10.0, while spring-loaded folders were (re)introduced in Jaguar (or was it Panther?).

Sure, both things might look similar, but click+hold in Dock is just shortcut (more like longcut) for right click, to get contextual menu. Actually, I think Apple did a lot of damage here... I caught myself many times thinking that click+hold will bring up menu in other applications (such as Mail). I still think it'd be a good choice, sometimes it's much more easy to click and hold, than right-click, especially with Apple's tradition of one-button mice/trackpads.

And, spring-loaded folders actually do *not* work in dock... try to drag a file into your Applications folder or Trash in dock and hover over it.

Marcin Wichary e:\> [EMAIL PROTECTED] w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary >> Attached w:\> www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/gui >> Graphical User Interface gallery w:\> www.10yearsofbeingboring.com >> 10 years of Being Boring w:\> www.usability.pl >> Usability.pl