Well, apparently all does not end well.  The software related problem,
as the "genius" at the apple store did indeed turn out to be a
hardware problem this morning, as I originally suspected, and the
iBook wouldn't even boot this morning.  After a talk to applecare,
they agreed this was indeed a hardware problem and they would deal
with it immediately.  Of course, immediately would have been nice
before when i still had time to get it back before i desperately need
the computer on monday.  It's been sent in, and another hard drive
wipe is likely, assuming they don't replace the HD altogether.  My bet
is it's in need of a new logicboard.
In anyevent, my new library, consisting of 1.9 GB of music is going to
be the new issue, I think.  In the mad rush to restore my iBook to
it's previous state I was unable to make a backup of the new library,
so the only copy of it soon will most likely be my iPod.
In other words, I'm going to need to figure out how to take the
contents of my iPod and put them back on my iTune library folder in
the iBook.  How do I do this, and will there be any loss in quality or
other issues in copying the files like this?
Brian