On Jan 9, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

on 09/01/05 10:02, Jeff Hubatka at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Greetings all-
Wife's Pismo 500, 512 RAM, 20GB, currently running 10.2.8. I'm trying
to upgrade to Panther, and after a couple tries it finally seemed to
install yesterday. However, now I can't actually start the machine from
the internal drive. It hangs at "Waiting for....either Apple File
service or network file system". I started in single-user mode and ran
fsck and it did a repair. Second time thru it said everything was OK
but on reboot it's still hung up. So I started off the CD and repaired
permissions, but same thing again. Then I started off an external FW
(cloned) drive and repaired permissions again. It took over an hour to
do what looked like 3000 permissions, but this morning it's still hung
at network file system.

Format the drive and do a clean install. See if that helps. If you drive had
bad sectors before the install, then your system is likely corrupted. The
only way to be sure is to format the drive and reinstall...

-Laurent.
--

I agree with Laurent, except I would "zero out" the data when erasing the drive. Click on "options" in Disk Utility just before clicking on "erase". This way, you can be sure you got rid of whatever problems you might of had before. I once had a strange recursive problem years ago on a drive that eventually ruined my entire system. . .only to try the zero out feature which FINALLY REMOVED the actual problem.

THE BLUETOOTH MASTER