>       Out of frustration, I went down to the local Apple to store to the
> genius bar, where the genius mentioned he has heard of a similar
> issue from another ibook.
>     Now comes the magic questions.  1) How I can I get Apple to do this
> repair?  I'm 100% certain that the bright spots are not due to any sort
> of accidental damage.  2) Does anyone have a similar experience?  3) For
> the Apple techs out there, have you heard of such an issue appearing on
> an iBook?

Simon -

    I can't offer any solutions for you; I can only offer support and
encouragement.  Encouragement for you to pursue your case aggressively with
Apple for, if the events are as you portray them, you clearly have a case.

    Become a thorn in their side and just keep after them, relentlessly.

    Good luck and keep us all in the loop as to how the case progresses.

    bob
--
"No lesson seems to be so deeply inculcated by the experience of life as
that you should never trust experts."  Lord Salisbury