Hi David,

WOW... Thanks a lot for your input! This is really great, very useful for me... You even mentioned several programs I never even heard of... Now I have something to look into, helps a lot!!! I will take a look at these, and also at the Apple mail reader. Maybe I can use it. I would have to get it to work with multiple accounts though...

At the moment I am waiting for a support call from my ISP. I tried to set up my net connection, but didn't get it to work. I have no idea why. It seems like the CD I have sitting here as well as the manual, is real old though, and certainly not made to help you set it up in OS X. But I should be able to get on line without their software running though. I hope they can help me, they have better Mac support than any other ISP I had before... It is probably just some stupid little thing.

The guy who had the iBook for a little while, said he hadn't set any passwords. It seems a bit funny though, because when I look at his account, there are 7 dots, as if he has entered a password. I don't know why it is not just showing a blank field if he didn't enter a password. I am wondering if I, instead of having to load iTunes (which I want to keep) onto another disk and re-install the system, just could have changed his account to my name. There's something else that is odd too though. I changed the language from french which he used, to Norwegian. But when I am trying to quit, I get a window with french language. I have no idea what it means, and since I am not familiar with OS X to begin with, it really doesn't make any sense. Do any of you know how I could get it to change the language all the way through? Or maybe it would be best to just re-install and be sure that everything is OK...

Aase :)

Tiger is listed for Q2 2005 which could mean as early as April and as late as June. That's a pretty long wait for a new 'Book - at least for me. For all the differences between Panther and Tiger check out Apple's website. I could write a small book about the differences.

Some upgrades are more important than others. I came to the Mac with System
6 and switched to OS 7 quickly. While it was a beneficial upgrade I learned
an important lesson: Avoid X.0 upgrades. I upgraded to 7.5, 8.5 and 9.1
letting others deal with the adventure of early adoption and incompatible
software. However I did jump into OS X with the first commercial release and
I've bought each upgrade immediately without regret. Panther is an extremely
stable OS beginning to show maturity and polish so I *could* stick with it
but I'll probably jump to Tiger when it is released.

Netscape is dead: long live Safari, FireFox and Camino. I used to use Opera
in Windows but I've switched to FireFox there. Opera on the Mac never did it
for me.

Apple's Email is a real workhorse with a few caveats: It doesn't play nice
with multiple email accounts which is my biggest complaint. I used Eudora in
my pre OS X days but it is long in the tooth and decidedly not an OS X
application.

MacSoup is still around and a decent enough news-reader. I'm using Unison.

david