Yes indeed, you can change short names. Apple has a technical article for this, #106824. The MacAddict magazine, October '04 issue carried the same info. Also, there is something you can download from VersionTracker called ChangeShortName, but read the disclaimers first, something about leaving the old Home Page visible.