On 1/19/05 4:18 AM, "Larry le Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> the iBooks are said to have much better reception
>> than the Powerbooks
>
> Can anyone comment on this ? If so, it's a very valid point
> FOR ME!!

The tiBook had pretty lousy reception, no doubt. The alBooks are much
better; mine goes the same places my iBook did and gets reception. I don't
want to make any general claims about iBook vs alBooks because in many cases
we wind up comparing 802.11b to 802.11g rather than iBook to PowerBook -
some iBooks have airport while others have airport extreme and since they
look so much alike it takes a pretty savvy Mac user to know the difference.

Airport (802.11b) has a slightly larger effective range than Airport Extreme
(802.11g). In addition you can think of Airport's reception as a circle;
inside the circle you have a signal and good speed. Airport Extreme is like
a circle within a circle; inside the smaller circle you get high speed
reception and when you step outside that your speed drops to 802.11b speeds.
> ---
>> Definitely wait for Tiger at this point.
>
> I know no-one knows these things for sure, but what is likely
> to happen when Tiger is released (and WHEN is that?).

Apple says 2nd quarter and given past similar pronouncements I'd say
probably late May to July.

> What will happen to prices of the iBooks ? Specs ?

Prices of new machines will stay the same or drop slightly while speeds and
capacity go up. I've read several rumors that G5 iBook and PowerBook
contracts have already been let and we'll see them in March. I'd love to
believe it but I don't. I'd be really surprised if we don't hear about a
speed bump sometime in late winter or spring and the G5 this summer at the
earliest. And no, I have no insider information other than knowledge of the
insides of the EasyBake G5 PowerMac. When Apple said thermal issues are
significant I hear a massive understatement.

> Twice I have bought a PowerBook (through work) and weeks
> afterwards a revision was released. First the TiBook 550 with
> DVD, three weeks later, Combo. And then my current AlBook
> 1GHz Combo, two weeks later, SuperDrive...   :o(

It happens and I have only one piece of advice for avoiding that problem.
Buy a Mac within a month or two of their release. That can be somewhat
dangerous but I've been doing it for 10 years and the closest I've gotten to
a lemon was my current 15" alBook which went back for a new screen. Of
course I've also avoided the first release of massively changed models. I
didn't buy a tiBook until the first revision (which I wound of selling after
a month because I hated it) and until the luxor iMac I never bought an iMac
at all.

david