Going back to classic MacOS was a bit painful at first when I set up a Kanga
for my daughter, but the more I played with it (I hadn't touched classic
MacOS since I switched to Windows in 98 and back to Mac in 04) the less
annoying it was.

There are some things I've found better in OS9 than OSX, at least for the
way this one will be used (the Launcher is much easier for a child than the
dock), and the system (OS 8.6) is MUCH faster than OSX (10.3.7).  For
comparison, I am using both a 1GHz 12" G4 PowerBook (768 ram) and a 400MHz
Pismo PowerBook (512 ram), both with 5400rpm hard drives for OSX and a
250MHz Kanga G3 with the original 5GB 4200 rpm drive in OS 8.6, and
everything from booting to application launch is appreciably faster on the
older laptop, with the single exception of waking from sleep, which is MUCH
faster in OSX.

Just for giggles, I installed Office 2001 and carried that old Kanga around
with me for a day, and while much heavier than my two more modern machines,
the old Kanga with 8.6 was able to do everything I do on a computer with
speed and ease.  Even Mozilla works well, though is slow to launch.

I wouldn't want to switch back to the classic Mac OS for stability reasons,
but it really isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Andrew