The 400MHz Pismo's 8MB Rage Mobility 128 video card accelerates DVD playback, and is supported by OS X.
The Lombard's 8MB Rage LT Pro video card does *not* accelerate playback, and is partially supported by OS X (specifically, later versions of Jaguar).
Neither does the Wallstreet's 2 or 4MB Rage LT card (which is entirely unsupported by OS X).
Neither does the PDQ's (also commonly referred to as the Wallstreet, but actually a different model) 4MB Rage LT Pro (which, like the Lombard's, is partially supported by OS X).

The Lombard and the Wallstreet were both able to play DVDs under OS 9 by virtue of a DVD decoder chipset, in the form of a ZiVA DVD decoder built into the MLB in some Lombard models, or supplied in a ZV-enabled PCMCIA card along with the Wallstreet's DVD drive (or as part of an Apple Store BTO option). However, these extra DVD decoder chipsets are not supported by OS X.

None of these machines are powerful enough to decode DVDs in software -- as a simple check using VLC will show you.

Honestly, if these machines *could* decode DVDs in software, why do you think Apple wasted all that time and money on providing hardware-based DVD playback?

To confirm everything I've been saying, look at Apple's hardware developer notes:
Wallstreet/PDQ -- http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/ Macintosh_CPUs-G3/PowerBookG3Series.pdf (page 27)
Lombard -- http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/ Macintosh_CPUs-G3/PowerBookG3Series_1999/PowerBookG3Series_1999.pdf (pages 26 and 27)
Pismo -- http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/ Macintosh_CPUs-G3/PowerBook/PowerBook.pdf (page 33)

Cheers,