on 26/01/05 20:46, Scott at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Good day all,
>
> I am glad this list is discussing hard drives, because I have just
> started looking into getting a new one for my Pismo PB.
> I am wondering if I ought to replace the internal drive or just keep it
> as is and get an external drive.
> The current drive is the stock IBM 18GB that came with the Pismo four
> years ago, and I don't know any other specs about it (rpm speed or RAM
> buffer size).
> I am comparing the drive speed rpms (4200 v. 5400 v. 7200) and the RAM
> buffer size, which are as small as 1MB or as big as 16MB.
>
> I think for an external drive, faster is better, yet how does the size
> of the RAM buffer figure into the equation? For an external drive is a
> larger RAM buffer actually better or overkill and wasteful? Is there a
> realistic buffer size where effective usefulness "tops out" and any
> more is just waste?
>
> For an internal drive slower uses less power, yet with a large buffer
> there is less drive access. So, is there a peak performance
> combination? Does a faster drive access less? And therefor is more
> effective?
> How much more effective is a 2MB buffer v. 1MB, and a 4MB buffer v.
> 2MB, etc, on up to 16MB v. 8MB? Is all that RAM actually used and
> effective?
>
> I am looking for the fastest *and* most efficient combination.
>
> I appreciate any facts, opinions, tho'ts, or experiences you'd like to
> share.
> Thank you all and have a great day!
> Scott
>
> "Many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield
> themselves up when taken little by little."  --- Plutarch

I'll just say this: having to carry around an external drive is annoying
after a little while, specially if you move around a bit. Plus the added
cost of getting an enclosure. Plus the ridiculous cost if you buy a drive
already in an enclosure. I'd say go for an internal drive. You might thank
yourself you did it...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

card walloper n.: An EDP programmer who grinds out batch programs that do
stupid things like print people's paychecks. Compare code grinder. See also
punched card, eighty-column mind.