On 1/29/05 9:51 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Or should I get rid of it - and what would be the next step up?  Would need
> it to handle most graphic programs like adobe, macromedia, office etc in the
> OSX operating system?
> I can't afford a brand new one right now, what would be a step up from the
> Lombard?
>
> I really love my Lombard and would hate to see it go - wish I could find a
> way to keep it.

Hi Linda:

There are lots of people on this list who have nursed their PowerBooks and
iBooks through many many years of service and have fixed hardware problems
that Iıd never bother trying to so Iıll let them advise you there. Donıt get
me wrong, I admire these guys and when it comes to desktop computers I am
the same. I just tend to view notebooks as (very expensive) disposables and
my work lets me finance them in that fashion. Iıve owned two G3 based iBooks
and now have a G4 alBook and I use the software you mention so I can give
you a few ideas about what to expect.

The original iBook (clamshell with a 300mHz G3) has enough horsepower to run
OS X 10.3 and the Adobe Creative Suite but there are a few disadvantages.
The two big disads are the screen resolution (800x600) and anemic
video-card. The programs wonıt run fast but I used Photoshop 7, InDesign 2,
and Word X on that computer to put out a monthly full color newsletter for
almost a year. Adobeıs reliance on screen hogging palettes sometimes made me
scream but even though I had access to desktops with more power and larger
screens the convenience of being able to use the iBook anywhere over-rode
the inconvenience of a slower computer and smaller screen. Speaking of
slower computer, I noticed the speed difference most when booting up the
computer, loading software, and working with large documents. For example, I
once timed my tangerine startup at 4.5 minutes from turning it on to
finishing loading the last start-up application. Thankfully that was
something I didnıt have to do very often.

I had the opportunity to replace my tangerine with a 600mHz dual USB iBook
and the difference between the two was dramatic. Startup and application
launch times were nearly halved. Everything was peppier - delays that Iıd
never noticed before became apparent - so much so that the beige G3 desktop
I was using at work became nearly intolerable to use. But I think the big
deal was moving from that 800x600 display to the new iBookıs 1024x768.
Suddenly I could leave a couple palettes on the screen while working in
Photoshop and InDesign. Wordıs text format palette now became really useful.
This had a big impact on my efficiency.

One of the last clamshell iBook models had a 466mHz G3 and I used one for a
couple weeks. It was noticeably faster than my tangerine but the difference
wasnıt as dramatic as that of the 600mHz dual USB model. For this reason, I
suspect the 500mHz dual USB model wouldnıt be as good a deal as the 600mHz
model.

Prices on the TiBook are very reasonable at this time but I strongly
recommend against the TiBook for one simple reason: the hinges. The hinge
assembly, more specifically the metal case where the hinge attaches, is
weak. Most of the people I know who have a TiBook that is 2 years or older
have either had to have a hinge (or both) replaced or are now nursing a weak
hinge and putting off the inevitable. The repair is not inexpensive and
since it often requires replacing the bottom case it can be more expensive
the the value of the computer.

The original 12² alBook is also worth mentioning. It shares the dual USB
iBooks form factor but has a G4 processor. Thereıs a lot to like about this
computer but when we got one in at work I eagerly put it through its paces
and was disappointed. Its performance was little better than the 800mHz G3
iBookıs in real world use.

So, this seems to be a very longwinded reply saying take a look at the iBook
with a processor speed of at least 600mHz and as much memory as you can dump
into it.

david