On Jan 30, 2005, at 1:14 PM, John wrote:

Dylan Moore wrote:
Hey all, got more details from my friend clint on his ibook- I really need all the feedback i can get from you guys so we can get his ibook back together!!
to dylan

I don't know what is happening. I tried the first thing you said and that
didn't work but it sort of did. the computer started up and there were all
kinds of weird colors and patterns. sort of medieval rug type of colors.

then I tried the last one. my book is the large size 2 usb model 14.1 from
late 2002, so to reset the p-ram power man you have to press shit, control,
options, and power together. wait 5 seconds. then start up. that didn't work
at all.

the funny thing is. sometimes the grey 10.3 screen comes on when I try to
start and sometimes it doesnt. it usually comes on if it is my first try at
booting up in a while. like after an hour or 2. then the subsequent times
don't work at all. I'm going to try the middle one next. this sucks.

What the hell could be causing this?? I don't think i've ever read any posts that explain THIS before. Is he eligible for some sort of ibook logic board recall?

Sounds like the logic board failure problem to me.

JR

Try this first before you send it into Apple and have to wait 2 months before you get it back:

If you have access to another Mac with Firewire use Firewire Target Disk Mode. Simply grab a firewire cable, connect it to the working Mac while it's running, then the other end to the bad iBook. At this point, press the power on the iBook, and then press and hold the letter "T" until the LCD lights up, showing the Firewire symbol. If you can get this far, and an icon pops up on the working Mac, be warned. . .Apple may do a similar test and call your friend once they have his iBook saying the logic board is fine and it's gonna cost hundreds to fix. (friend had a similar experience.) If you CAN get that far, then run Disk Utility on the working Mac and try to repair disk/permissions on the bad iBook. I can't tell you how many times this simple procedure has fixed many problems with my friends iBooks and PB's. I recently fixed my roommates iBook using this procedure; (see thread, "Black Screen of Death") Hope this helps. If not, then at least you can rule out any other possibility other than the logic board. If that's the case, then check Apple's website 'cause if I'm not mistaken, Apple has once again extended the Logic Board Replacement Program. The cool thing about this program is that you don't have to be the original owner nor does it even have to be under warranty. If, after they test the iBook and determine that it is in fact the logic board, they will replace it for free. . .no questions asked. (I now know three people including myself that has gone through the program, so speaking from experience here. Apple takes their time, but they do fix 'em.)

Zoltan

THE BLUETOOTH (and WiFi) MASTER