Similar symptoms, different results. Tried assorted fixes (TechTools, Repair Permissions, etc) so....

Brought iBook into Apple store, had tech look at it, from the start-up or actually lack-of start-up it was determined it was the Logic Board. He took the iBook gave me a receipt, said about two weeks and a possible HD re-initialization (already did back-up). 6 days later (regular days not business days) had my iBook back and all info still on the HD.

Regards,
Mark