OpenGL generally isn't user-configurable, except via the preferences or options dialogs of programs that use it. You could try messing around with it via the OpenGL Driver Monitor or OpenGL Profiler (in Developer/Applications/Graphics), but there's not much point in doing that for most people.

Under OS X, OpenGL hardware acceleration is fully supported on any machine with a Rage 128 or better (that's Pismo or later for laptops, and Blue&White G3 or later for desktops). If you have an AGP card with 16MB or more VRAM, parts of the GUI will be drawn using OpenGL.

All the iTunes "Use OpenGL" button does is use OpenGL to speed up some of the 2D drawing operations. If you've got 16MB or more VRAM, the difference should be noticeable.

Cheers,
Ben