We've had numerous flamewars about Apple's service here, thought I'd pass along a tidbit from the latest Tech Tails, one of SmallDog's newsletters (SmallDog is a sponsor of the LEM lists, and, speaking as a satisfied customer, one heck of a good company):

"Beyond Apple Tech Support
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have encountered several customers who have had the worst luck with a computer that you can imagine. Often the frustrated customer has had repair after repair attempted on his or her computer, yet is still having hardware problems. In these extreme cases, I encourage the customer to call Apple Customer Relations. Unlike Apple's Tech Support, customer relations is trained to handle sensitive and unusual computer issues.

For example, we once had a customer who bought a G3 iMac from us. She brought it back a couple of months later because it had a video issue. The screen would intermittently turn a shade of yellow. We replaced the power-analog video board, but within a month she was back with the same issue. Once again we replaced the power-analog video board, but still within a couple of months she was back. This time we checked the cables from the PAV and it seemed to resolve the issue, so we did not replace the board. However, she was again back within two weeks with the same video issue. This time we replaced both the logic board and the power-analog video board. Within three months, the computer had problems. Thankfully, the iMac was still under warranty because the customer had purchased AppleCare. At this point the customer contacted Apple and pleaded her case. Apple called us and got some facts, then sent her a replacement unit.

I asked the customer-relations representative what qualified a computer for replacement. He told me that Apple did not have a set number of repairs, but took each case on an individual basis. In my experience, after three or four separate hardware issues, it's a good time to call the customer relations team for help. To reach that department, call 1-800-275-2273 and ask for customer relations."

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'