G-Books wrote:

"I don't remember if the 4/600 could use IP
printing, but that might be your option."

The LaserWriter 4/600 PS is LocalTalk only, so far as I am aware. I have a 4/600 PS running on a wired network at my parents place using LocalTalk Bridge. We have a 7200/90 on the network which is around for the sole purpose of running LocalTalk Bridge 24/7. This setup works flawlessly. Of course, this is under 8.6 to 9.2.2, and it is wired. I am not sure if it would play nice with OS X. I don't see why it would not, though. The router on the network there is a LinkSys, and AppleTalk is officially not a supported protocol.

I am running a Netgear on the network here, and it seems to play nice with AppleTalk to the NeXT Laser Printer. Again, wired network and my machine is running 9.2.2. The NeXTstation is running OPENSTEP and Columbia AppleTalk Protocol (CAPer by Frank Siegert). In effect, the NeXT spools print jobs from the Mac, and digests them for the printer, which hasn't got any brains.

Since your problem is that WiFi doesn't like the AppleTalk, IP printing does seem like the logical solution. But, you can't give the 4/600 an IP address. Just a thought but, what if you were to try specifying the IP address of the host which the printer is physically plugged into (herein called "hostof4/600PS") as the address for IP printing? If you run LocalTalk Bridge on hostof4/600PS, which I assume you are doing, I would think that it might work. The reason I think this is that with LocalTalk Bridge, you are printing to a printer that does not physically exist on the ethernet network anyhow. As long as the print request gets to hostof4/600PS, IMO LocalTalk Bridge should look after the rest. At least, that would seem logical ... which means it probably won't work.

Best of luck:-)

--
Regards,

Dante McLean Dante McLean Photography [EMAIL PROTECTED] --> NeXTmail soon to be welcome!

DS16 #19
"A Humming Bird"
Christian Island, Ontario
N44° 51.472'  W080° 12.349'

"If you can't get your work done in the first 24 hours, work nights."