On Feb 7, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Adrian Carter wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a bit of advice.

My old Powerbook WallStreet 266Mhz has endured something of a hard life but has always toiled away on my behalf relentlessly.

However recently and without warning the hinges sheared and took out the video ribbon cable (the left hand side cable as you are facing the machine from the front).

I sourced a pair of hinges and a replacement video cable at reasonable cost and set about replacing them. I was very careful in replacing the ribbon and the hinges (the ribbon is a fiddly job but I got it in place so it rested in the intended way). However when it came to booting up the machine the screen is still dead.

Could it be possible that in tearing the ribbon it's possible that the screen could have been knocked out as a result. Prior to the cable getting torn, the display was perfect and never gave me a moments trouble. It seems as though there is no power to the screen whatsoever. Has anyone on the list got any ideas to something I could have disturbed during the process of stripping and rebuilding the machine.

The machine still boots on an external monitor just fine, but if at all possible I would like to get the old thing back in working order. It's still my favourite Powerbook.

Adi

Whenever I have added anything to any of my computers I had to take out the battery or reset the PRAM in some way.