As mentioned, CPU L2 cache failure is apparently common on the Lombard
series, and leads to all sorts of odd problems.

My question is - has anyone used third party cache control software to
disable a faulty cache, and did that work to get rid of the errors?

Yes, I know having no L2 cache isn't the hot tip for a speedy 'Book, but
the alternative is worse. Also noted, the OP was trying to install an OS
from CD, so if the L2 is kaput 3rd party solutions wouldn't work in this
case.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700