On Feb 9, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Bob wrote:

The National Enquirer reports at 8:27 PM -0500 2/9/05, Dylan Moore wrote:

Try putting the dying hard drive into a zip-lock bag, sealing it and
storing
it in your freezer over night. Tomorrow remove it & let it warm up. You
should get an hour or more out of it so you can transfer the files to
your
new already installed drive.

John

really? thats the most bizarre fix i've ever come across, if you're
being serious.
what's the basic explanation for that one? *intrrigued*
I mean i understand the #1 reason for HD failure is heat, but
intuitively i would think it would wreak havoc with the parts to put it
in the freezer. But if this is really a fix, i could see the ziplock
bag being necessary- no one wants freezer burned data! ( =
-dylan

While we're on the "truth is stranger than fiction" theme. Putting a H.D. in a kitchen oven for a few minutes can also solve some problems; at least temporarily. In days gone by, in some drives, the lubrication on the platters and/or on the spindle would harden and instead of lubricating the drive's components, it caused them to stick together and kept things from spinning. That was known as stiction. Baking the drive at a low heat caused the lubrication to soften and reflow, allowing the drive to spin up again.

I don't believe that newer drives have the same "stiction" problem.

Never know what you'll learn on a Mac list, huh? :-)

Ok folks. . .I've got a 75 gig IBM hard drive that sounds like a plane taking off during initial boot, and a saw mill during normal operation. Which is recommended? Freezer? Or Oven? Does anything think that one or both of these ideas might fix the drive before the bearings go bad? (I can't believe I'm asking this, but hey, Bob's right. . .you never know what you'll learn on a Mac List!!

Zoltan

THE BLUETOOTH (and WiFi) MASTER