My iPod was the same way, in my hands one day before it was supposed to ship
(engraved, shipped from Shanghai).  My wife's iPod mini (green, also
engraved), on the other hand, shipped when Apple said it would and was in my
hands exactly when FedEx's website said it would be.

For my PowerBook, I just couldn't wait, so I called every Apple Store in the
Los Angeles area until the new ones were in.  I ended up getting it February
2nd, and have been loving it ever since.

By the way, I know that the larger models have improved keyboard
illumination, but is the keyboard itself different?  My new 12" keys feel a
lot better and are much quieter than my old 12" was, and I already thought
that the old one was close to perfection.

Andrew