On Feb 15, 2005, at 7:49 PM, bee wrote:

I will have to disagree with both of these comments, I hear this all over the net,
"Never buy a Rev A". It is not true, when the Ti 500 first came out as the first
PowerBook G4 there were problems with ejection of CD's etc. those problems
were fixed by March of 2001, that's when I bought my Rev A Powerbook, now
it's almost 4 years old and I'm typing on it now. Rev A's are OK. Also, my office
mate across the hall from me has a Rev A G5 Dual 2 Ghz, it is also smooth as
silk. So the Rev A comments as far as I am concerned are a myth.

Ok, do you realize you're contradicting yourself?

You say "There were problems with Rev A that were fixed" and therefore "Rev A concerns are a myth"

HUH?

Ok, from the time that the first Ti500s came out until it was fixed, there were Rev A problems. Once that was fixed, I would no longer consider that "Rev A" (maybe "Rev A.1" or "Rev A.01" or something).

I'm not saying "All of the entire batch of Rev A G5 Powerbooks will be bad"

What I am saying is, "Given the history of Rev A products writ large [which have ranged from CD ejection to paint coming off to weak battery life / wifi signal], if you are looking to buy a Powerbook and will buy one of the first batch off the presses [Rev A.00000], you have a much higher likelihood of running into problems than you do if you were to buy a G4 Powerbook at this point when the line is fairly well polished."

Does buying Rev A guarantee you problems and buying Rev Z guarantee you won't have problems? Heck no. But I'll stand by my suggestion that you'd be better off, statistically speaking, to avoid the potential problems.

Saying "Rev A problems are a myth" is absurd. There's far too much evidence to the contrary.

TjL