Do you have similar problems connecting with other protocols (e.g. FTP, POP3, SMTP)? To me, the issues you describe seem similar to those caused by high rates of packet loss over your connection; however, the fact that IE works doesn't fit in with that hypothesis.

Just a check: try opening Terminal, and typing "telnet www.apple.com 80", hitting return, waiting a couple of seconds, typing "GET /", and hitting return again. What happens? If everything is working correctly, you should see a large amount of text outputted within a few seconds of you typing the commands.

Cheers,
Ben