On 16-Feb-05, at 8:43 AM, Andrew F. wrote:

I have laptops of different sizes, and find my ThinkPad about the same size
as the 15" PowerBook (a tad taller, but narrower) and actually a few ounces
lighter. There would be no real difference in bulk or weight between the
ThinkPad and a 15" PowerBook, but when it comes time to fly, the 12"
PowerBook wins every time. It was designed for travel, while the larger
ones are designed to be used at least on a table, if not a desk.

Hi Andrew,

I agree the 17" would be more difficult to use on a plane and certainly not as portable.
I have never had problems using the 15" on a plane. The pull out trays are just the right size for it and It was clearly designed for portability as well. I find the small 12" screen causes too much eye strain, especially on a plane where the ride is not always smooth in the first place.

I think there is a strong argument for personal preference here. I regularly walk around with my 15" PB locally and don't find it problematic at all. It is fairly easy to conceal not that heavy, although I wouldn't want to be walking for miles with it on my shoulder.

This is the only computer I own. I thought I would need to get a monitor almost immediately but when I received my PB, the screen just seemed so big. A year later, I still don't have an external monitor but I do plan to get one shortly as I am doing more intensive photo restoration projects now and really need a 19-20" external monitor.

Amber