On older Macs running OSX, RAM is probably the number one problem.  I've had
trouble with even Apple ram on Pismo and Lombard PowerBooks under OSX, and
now buy only from OWC, which has reasonable prices and very liberal replacement
policies, including for OSX crashes (they know the problem well).

Andrew